Yeap it’s officialy quiz night here at Vagpod. No, wait! don’t get your drinks yet! Actually yesterday evening I was reading a book about graphic design and I came across some interesting historical facts which I’ll share with you. Now go and get the booze
- The term Graphic Design was introduced in the USA by Dwight Wiggins in 1927.
- The famous London Tube map, (more or less) as we see it today, was designed by Frank Beck around 1908.
- Guttenburg created the first printing press by adapting a wine press in 1440-1450.
- The typewriter was invented in 1865.
- ‘Cosmopolitan’ launched in the US as a fiction magazine in 1886.
- Also ‘Vogue’ was launched as a fashion society magazine in 1892.
- Following these two, consumer magazines become widely available and popular in 1900.
- Full color printing for mass production of magazines becomes available during the 1950’s.
And now some facts for us graphics + tech freaks:
- The PANTONE colour system got introduced in 1962.
- The Mac Aries (anyone remembers that one??) launches in 1984
- Of course Sir Clive Sinclair had launched the ALLMIGHTY ZX Spectrum 48K in 1982 (aahhh! those were the days!)
- The Postscript Page Description Language was launched in 1982
- Adobe releases Pagemaker 1 in 1985 (and I’m very happy that I was in school at the time and never had the chance to work with it).
- Photoshop 1.0 was programmed by Thomas Knoll and got released in 1990 for Macs only by Adobe. Photoshop 2.0 gets ported to the Windows platform in 1992.
- Illustrator 1.0 hit the shops for the first time in January 1987, also released by Adobe.
- The first edition of Quark Xpress came out in 1987.
- And my beloved Corel Draw begins it’s life in 1989.
- Television gets introduced to the public and the first ad transmitted in 1930.
- The World Wide Web was invented by Tim Berners Lee in -check this out!- 1960!!!
- It was created twenty years later though, in 1980.
- E-mail gets introduced much later, in 1994-5 (I remember having my first email account in 1997 with Hotmail)
- The first consumer mobile phone (1G) was available for the public in 1980
- The 2G mobile network was launched in 1990
- 3G becomes available in 2000 (so 4G will be available in 2010??)
- Google begins in 2002 (somehow I remember it as a search engine earlier than 2002…)
- Youtube, Facebook, Bebo all begin in 2003.
So know you know and you can easily be a smartass to your friends with your newly acquired knowledge 🙂